TOP to TOE SKN CARE
Try these kitchen remedies in a pinch or as often as you wish
- Make a paste of 2 tsp beson (gram flour), ‘/2 tsp turmeric powder, milk cream. Apply this mixture on the neckfor 10 minutes and wash off with warm water. The abrasive action offlour ]oosens dead cells and cleanses while turmeric is an antiseptic. Milk cream has a moisturizing and lightening effect on sun darkened necks.
- A paste of oatmeal, curd, almonds and fresh tomato juice offers similar benefits.
- Exfoliate hands with a paste of sea salt and lemon juice twice a week to soften and lighten discoloration. A paste of sugar granules and limejuice does the same trick.
- Massage hands every other day with a moisturizing solution of glycerin, lemon juice and a few drops of rose water.
- Add 1 tsp mild shampoo, juice of half a lemon and 1 tsp rock salt to a basin of warm water and soak feet for 20 mins. Rinse off and pat dry.
- Massage a paste of 1 tsp Vaseline and juice of 1 lemon into feet to cure rough cracked heels.
- Crush 6 aspirin tablets in a little water mixed with I teaspoon lime juice. Coat corns and calluses with this paste. Cover with a warm towel. After 10 minutes scrub with a pumice stone and rinse off.
- If deos are darkening your underarms use powdered alum or baking soda instead, after your shower, to banish body odour stale sweat.
- Lighten darkened armpits with a paste of 1 tsp lime juice, 1 tsp cucumber juice and a pinch of turmeric powder. Apply and rinse after 20 minutes. Lime’s acidic nature acts like a mild peel and also helps remove any excess sweat, oil, and grime on skin surface.
- Make an exfoliating scrub with a paste of coarsely powdered unpolished rice and apple cidervinegar. Massage slowly into the skin to remove dead skin. Keep on for a few minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Hydrogen peroxide is an excellent bleaching agent and can help erase discoloration. Once a fortnight, dip a cotton ball in hydrogen peroxide and apply on the knees and elbows.
- Keep elbows soft by massaging in almond oil, olive oil, Vaseline or moisturizing cream, To prevent the moisturizer from rubbing off at night cut off the closed ends of a pair of socks and slide on to cover elbows.